Paris (AP) – Laura Siegemund saved the sporting honor of the German tennis ladies in Paris with a great comeback victory.
The 32-year-old prevailed at the French Open against Kristina Mladenovic from France 7: 5, 6: 3 and became the first German player to advance to the second round. She made up a 5-1 deficit in the first set and fended off seven set balls. After 2:02 hours, the Fed Cup player used her first match ball. Angelique Kerber, Andrea Petkovic, Anna-Lena Friedsam and Tamara Korpatsch had previously lost their opening games. Julia Görges will play against the American Alison Riske on Tuesday.
For Philipp Kohlschreiber, the French Open is over again. The 36-year-old from Augsburg lost 4: 6, 6: 4, 1: 6, 4: 6 to the Chilean Cristian Garin in the wet and cold weather in Paris and was the first German to be eliminated from the men’s competition. Before the Davis Cup player, Alexander Zverev, Dominik Koepfer, Daniel Altmaier and Jan-Lennard Struff had won their opening games at the Stade Roland Garros.
Siegemund impressed with an outstanding fighting performance. One day after Angelique Kerber’s listless performance, the US Open doubles winner did not let herself be disturbed by a bad start. Although Mladenovic drew 5-1 under the closed roof of Court Philippe Chatrier, Siegemund stayed calm and increased from rally to rally. After 71 minutes, the Swabian catch-up was rewarded with winning the first set. “That was outstanding,” said Germany’s women boss Barbara Rittner, a TV expert at Eurosport.
Siegemund quickly suffered a break in the second round, but fought his way back and deserved to win in the end. In the second round there could now be a German duel with Julia Görges.
For Kohlschreiber, on the other hand, it was the fourth first-round defeat in a row. Since the restart after the month-long Corona break, he has only won one match, at the Challenger tournament in Prague in mid-August. And now the freak weather in Paris. Why is he still doing this to himself?
A question that the Davis Cup professional doesn’t really like. “Why do we talk about ‘doing yourself’? Just because I’m a little older?” Asked the Bavarian. Of course, with all the restrictions, the joy of tennis is “subdued. But the love of sport is still there,” said Kohlschreiber, who will be on the tour for 20 years in the coming season. “It’s all complicated, but I try to enjoy it. And I hope that it’ll all get a little easier at some point.”
When that will be the case is still completely open. But ending your career right away is out of the question for the eight-time ATP tournament winner. Kohlschreiber still wants to play at two smaller Challenger events in Parma and Sardinia, what comes after that remains to be seen. “Perhaps it is not wrong to take your time and work on your tennis,” said Kohlschreiben. Because it should definitely continue in 2021.