The construction season has started in Montreal and certain sectors will be avoided in the coming months like the corridors of highways 10 and 15, between the Turcot interchange and highway 30, on the South Shore. Given the multiple barriers, the City of Montreal is already warning motorists that they should opt for biking or public transportation if they are going west of downtown.
The pandemic forced the construction sites to stop between March 25 and May 11, but work has resumed in the metropolitan area. The presentation of the various sites made on Thursday by Mobilité Montréal, which brings together several partners including the Ministère des Transports du Québec (MTQ), the Ville de Montréal and CDPQ Infra, suggests another difficult summer for motorists.
Last year, the MTQ carried out work on the Décarie highway southbound. This time, it is the northbound lanes that pass there with asphalting work that will be carried out at night and on weekends. Highway 40, westbound between Saint-Michel and Décarie, will also be under construction, but work will only be done at night, said Sarah Bensadoun, spokesperson for Mobilité Montréal.
The most “hot” sector will be the corridors of highways 10 and 15, taking into account a cocktail of construction sites carried out by the MTQ on Turcot, CDPQ Infra and its Réseau express métropolitain (REM), and Signature on the St. Lawrence , CN and Les Ponts Jacques-Cartier et Champlain (PJCCI) during the months of June and July. “There are going to be several combinations of closings as we saw last weekend when we closed the corridor of highways 10 and 15, between Turcot to highway 30,” said Ms. Bensadoun.
The City of Montreal will also be carrying out major work with, among other things, 40 projects with “major impacts”. City spokesman Philippe Sabourin reported a high concentration of construction sites in the western sector of the city center. One of them will take place on rue Saint-Antoine where a major 84-inch line supplying the McTavish reservoir had to be replaced. The pipeline has been restored, but barriers will be maintained between Guy and Atwater streets, he said.
A subsidence of the roadway that occurred last December on Guy Street, between Saint-Antoine and René-Lévesque, required work that will continue in the coming months.
Peel Street will be under construction again this summer. This time, the work will be carried out between Notre-Dame Street and René-Lévesque Boulevard to allow the replacement of underground infrastructure. “This is really an area to avoid given the complete closure of this section,” said Philippe Sabourin.
In Griffintown, where residential construction is intense, major infrastructure work will be required, notably on William, Peel and Ottawa streets, with sometimes partial or complete closures.
All summer, de la Commune Street, eastbound, will be closed between McGill and Prince streets. Between Saint-Gabriel and de Bonsecours, rue de la Commune will be pedestrianized this summer, said Mr. Sabourin. For its part, work on rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest, between boulevard Robert-Bourassa and rue Mansfield, will continue.
The City will launch two new projects, that of avenue du Docteur-Penfield, which runs along the McTavish reservoir and that will require investments of 250 million, as well as that of rue D’Iberville, between rue Ontario and boulevard de Maisonneuve, which will require complete closure.
Philippe Sabourin warns motorists to avoid driving in the western sector of the city center and in the vicinity of the Old Port due to major obstacles. “We are going to invite you to use public transport, and especially active transport. This summer, it will truly be “balconville” summer. Many Montrealers will choose to stay at home. The administration has set up a network of around 200 kilometers of lanes where traffic between bicycles, pedestrians and motorists can be shared. […] We have a really special context this year. “
The closure of construction sites due to the pandemic caused delays, but the MTQ indicates that it has accelerated certain works by extending the closings on weekends. Thus, several barriers started on Thursday evening, instead of Friday evening, and continued until Tuesday morning in some cases. Regarding the construction of the Turcot interchange, which was 91% complete, the work should be completed by the end of 2020, said Bensadoun.