Police riots after George Floyd’s death: Minneapolis entire police force is dissolved
The death of the African American George Floyd shakes the United States: there are repeated riots in numerous cities. After Donald Trump had the National Guard on site in Washington, the US President has now ordered the forces home. All information in the FOCUS Online news ticker.
The essentials in brief: Protests, curfews and fierce criticism of the president: The United States has not come to rest in a brutal police operation a week and a half ago since the death of African American George Floyd. The responsible public prosecutor’s office tightened their charges and had all of the former officials involved arrested. The policeman, who is held responsible for Floyd’s death, is now facing a second-degree trial, including up to 40 years in prison.
Minneapolis Police Department is dissolved
Monday, June 8, 7:34 a.m .: As a result of the violent death of African American George Floyd, police work in the US city of Minneapolis is to be completely reorganized. The city council decided on Sunday to completely dissolve the local police department and to create a new structure for police work, members of the council said. In the panel there was agreement that the police authority “is not reformable” wrote member Alondra Cano in the short message service Twitter.
City council chairwoman Lisa Bender told CNN that a “new model of public security” should be created in Minneapolis “that will actually keep our community safe”. The city council will still discuss how the previous police authority should be replaced.
In the city in the state of Minnesota, Floyd was killed in a brutal police operation almost two weeks ago. A white policeman had kneeled on the unarmed man’s neck for almost nine minutes, although Floyd repeatedly complained that he could not breathe.
Revolt at the “New York Times”: opinion leader resigns after controversial article
07.05 a.m .: The influential head of the New York Times opinion site, James Bennet, quit with immediate effect after a very controversial guest comment. A demand by a Republican senator for the military to be used in the protests in the United States had sparked a revolt within the newspaper, causing the paper to explain. The publisher of the “New York Times”, A.G. Sulzberger said on Sunday that the newspaper was “grateful” to Bennet for his performance since May 2016. Now journalist Katie Kingsbury will lead the opinion page temporarily.
The “New York Times” had already announced on Thursday that the guest contribution by Senator Tom Cotton with the heading “Send In the Troops” (“Send In The Troops”) did not meet the standards of the newspaper. A “hasty editorial process” led to the publication of the opinion. The newspaper also reported that Bennet had not read the post before it was published. Cotton had written, among other things: “One thing in particular will restore order to our streets: an overwhelming demonstration of power to drive away, arrest and ultimately deter lawbreakers.”
British protesters throw statue of slave trader into harbor basin
10:28 p.m .: In anti-racism protests in Bristol, England, demonstrators on Sunday took the statue of a British slave trader from a pedestal and threw it into the harbor basin. As an eyewitness video recording shows, people put a noose around the neck of the statue of Edward Colston and brought it down. With cheers of excitement, they dragged the bronze statue to the harbor, where they sank it in the River Avon.
Police in the city in south-west England have announced an investigation. According to the local chief of police, around 10,000 people took part in the peaceful demonstration, and a few dozen then buttoned the bronze statue on the side. Born in the wealthy merchant family in the 17th century, Colston worked for the Royal African Society, which enslaved around 5,000 people annually. Colston later acquired a reputation as a philanthropist by donating to schools and hospitals.
“Today I’m a witness to history,” wrote William Want, who posted the video, on Twitter’s short message service under the hashtag Black Lives Matter. Protesters took to the streets against racism and police violence to show solidarity with protests in the United States after the death of African American George Floyd. The 46-year-old died in Minneapolis on May 25 after a white policeman had held his knee down for several minutes.
Trump backs off and sends the National Guard home – “situation under control”
4:11 p.m .: For several days, Donald Trump urged state governors to deploy the National Guard in the race protests following a police officer after the violent death of the African American – now the US president is backing out. He announced on the Twitter short message service on Sunday: “I have just given the order that our National Guard initiate a withdrawal from Washington – now that everything is under perfect control. They will go home, but can return quickly if necessary. ” He also claimed that far fewer demonstrators appeared on Saturday than expected.
Demonstrations against police violence and racism have been going on in many US cities for days because of Floyd’s death. The protests degenerated into rioting and looting. In an open letter on Thursday, Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser had asked Trump to withdraw all federal government soldiers and security forces from their city. Trump’s government had a demonstration in front of the White House broken up on Monday evening so the president could pose in front of a church in the square with a Bible for cameras. Among other things, military police were used. The procedure caused sharp criticism.
Spahn worried about “crowds crowded” at demos
09.00 a.m: Federal Health Minister Jens Spahn has shown concern after the recent anti-racism demonstrations of crowds during the corona pandemic. “The fight against racism needs our common commitment. Every day,” Spahn said on Saturday evening on Twitter. “But crowds of people in the middle of the pandemic are getting me.” Also with important concerns applies: “Keep your distance, wear everyday mask, take care of each other. To protect us and others.”
Tens of thousands of people in Germany demonstrated against racism and police violence on Saturday. According to police, there were around 15,000 participants in Berlin’s Alexanderplatz alone. Around 25,000 demonstrators took to the streets in Munich. The trigger was the death of black George Floyd in the USA in a brutal police operation in late May.
93 arrests and 28 injured officials after demos in Berlin
08.55 a.m .: In the police operation on the occasion of the anti-racist demonstrations in Berlin on Saturday, 93 people were arrested and 28 police officers were slightly injured. The police said that three of you should have left work after outpatient treatment on Sunday night.
Accordingly, the arrests were made for breach of the peace, opposition to law enforcement officers and assault on law enforcement officers, attempted liberation of prisoners, violations of the Infection Protection Act and trespassing. According to the police, around 800 police officers were deployed.
After a peaceful demonstration on Alexanderplatz, the police said there was an outbreak of violence between Alexanderplatz station and the Berolinahaus. Police and passersby were thrown at stones and bottles from a larger group after a man was arrested for material damage to an emergency vehicle. A press photographer was also injured.
At the previous gathering, 15,000 participants had largely peacefully demonstrated against racism, recalling the African American George Floyd, who was killed in a brutal police operation in the US city of Minneapolis.
The rally on Alexanderplatz was trouble-free, but was ended prematurely due to the large crowd, the police said. After that, in addition to the originally planned 14 downtown assemblies, a 15th was approved.
On Saturday thousands also took to the streets in Germany in cities like Hamburg, Frankfurt am Main, Mannheim and Stuttgart. Calls for “Silent Demos” had been published on the Internet. “No to racism” and “Black Lives Matter” (“count black lives”), it said there. The protesters were supposed to appear in black clothes. The intention was to silently and silently remember Floyd’s death during the demonstration.
In Munich there were repeated calls to “Black Lives Matter”. A police spokesman said: “We made permanent announcements to indicate compliance with the distance rules, which were often not adhered to at the beginning.” The meeting area was finally expanded to make more space. According to the police, the 200 people registered had become 25,000 demonstrators.
75-year-old encountered: 57 Buffalo cops resign to protest their colleagues’ suspension
Sunday, June 7th, 7:36 am: After two US police officers were suspended from duty in the city of Buffalo, their colleagues reacted with a protest. At a rally against police violence in Buffalo, officials reportedly bumped an older protester, according to media reports. He then fell and injured his head. As a video released by WBFO on Thursday evening (local time) showed, the man with bleeding on the head remained on the sidewalk. The officials were suspended, as Mayor Byron W. Brown confirmed on Twitter. The 75-year-old protester is in serious but stable condition. The city’s police chief in the state of New York ordered an internal investigation.
In response to the men’s suspension, the entire 57-man Buffalo Police Emergency Response Team resigned. The British “Guardian” reports. With this action, the police officers want to demonstrate solidarity and support for their colleagues.
The shocking scene had sparked a wave of outrage on social media and further tensions in protests against the murder of black George Floyd. The roughly 40-second video clip shows the white demonstrator approaching a group of uniformed police officers and being knocked over by two of them.
The two police officers have since been charged. They were accused of serious assault, US media reported on Saturday. Both pleaded not guilty at the court hearing in the city of New York.
You will find further messages on the next page.