Aue (dpa) – On the third day of the match, the corona virus is causing the first appointment concerns of the new season in German professional football. The planned away game of the 2nd Bundesliga of Erzgebirge Aue at Hamburger SV had to be canceled at short notice after two positive tests at Saxony.
The German Football League announced that a rescheduling will be decided as soon as possible. “We are in contact with the health department, which will now inform us about further steps, such as the duration of the quarantine and further corona tests,” said Aues managing director Michael Voigt.
Accordingly, it was initially unclear when team training would be possible again. After the international break, FC Erzgebirge is scheduled to play the next game on October 18 (1.30 p.m. / Sky) at home against 1. FC Heidenheim. Since Aue and HSV have already been eliminated in the DFB-Pokal, the game could, for example, take place on the dates of the second round on 22/23. December to be made up.
The Auer were already in Hamburg when the news of two new corona cases became known. At the instruction of the health department of the Erzgebirge district, the team returned immediately. “On the Saturday morning before departure, the PCR tests were carried out as usual. In the evening at the hotel in Hamburg, the two positive results were known. We immediately informed all the necessary authorities and the DFL,” said Voigt. The two affected people, who have so far shown no symptoms, were immediately isolated and started their journey home separately from the team.
HSV sports director Jonas Boldt spoke of “clean communication” by the Auer and hopes that the game can be maintained largely undisturbed despite the first corona-related cancellation of this season. “I hope that we can do it sensibly, for that there are hygiene concepts that have also proven themselves so far,” said the 38-year-old.
“We adhere to the hygiene concepts in a very disciplined manner. Of course, there is no guarantee that a case will occur”, continued Boldt. Due to the postponement of the game, goalkeeper Sven Ulreich, whom HSV signed from FC Bayern, did not make a possible debut.
During the week, the corona virus had interrupted Aue’s preparations for the game in Hamburg. Because a person in the vicinity of the club had tested positive, the team could only train individually on Wednesday and Thursday. A subsequent series of tests only produced negative results, which is why team training was resumed on Friday.
Last season, the Dynamo Dresden squad had to be quarantined for 14 days due to several corona cases shortly before the restart in May. As a result, three games of the Saxons had to be postponed. The DFL failed to comply with a request from Dynamo to extend the season into July, so the club had to play nine games in 29 days. At the end of the season, Dresden was relegated.
The cancellation now has other effects: striker Florian Krüger, who was appointed by DFB coach Stefan Kuntz for the international matches of the German U21 national team on October 9 in Moldova (6.15 p.m.) and on October 13 against Bosnia-Herzegovina (6.15 p.m. / both ProSieben MAXX) was nominated, the games will definitely miss because of the quarantine ordered. “We are still in an exchange with the DFB,” said Voigt.
While HSV had to take a break, Holstein Kiel stormed to the top of the table at least temporarily with the 2-1 win against Fortuna Düsseldorf and spoiled the debut for the new Fortuna board member Klaus Allofs. Hanover was second after their 4-1 derby win against Braunschweig. Nuremberg could overtake Kiel on Monday (8.30 p.m. / Sky) with a win against Darmstadt 98.
Meanwhile, the new coach Marco Antwerp just missed a win at the debut at Würzburger Kickers. In the 2-2 draw in the Franconian duel with Greuther Fürth, the equalizer fell in stoppage time. After all, it was the first point for Würzburg. Only Karlsruher SC is now pointless after the 0: 1 at Jahn Regensburg.