Hanau (dpa) – The allegedly right-wing radical and racially motivated attack by Hanau has caused dismay in German football. DFL chief Christian Seifert spoke of a “horrific crime”.
The teams in the first three leagues of the men, like the teams of the women’s leagues, will play with black ribbon at the weekend. There will also be a minute’s silence before the games. In addition, there will be a minute’s silence before the games, the German Football League and the German Football Association announced on Thursday in Frankfurt / Main.
“The act leaves us shocked and uncomprehending,” said Seifert. “Our thoughts are with the victims and their relatives.” DFB President Fritz Keller said: “We are shaken and stunned by this senseless act of violence. It is the next urgent warning that we all have to stand together against hatred and racism, against every form of discrimination – whether on the stadium grandstand, on the street or on the Internet.”
In Hanau, Hesse, a man shot nine people with a migration background on Wednesday evening. According to the Federal Prosecutor’s Office, six others were injured, one of them seriously. A short time later, the alleged perpetrator and his mother were also found shot in an apartment. According to the Federal Prosecutor’s Office, “a kind of manifesto” on the Internet contains indications of a “deeply racist outlook” of the suspect.
The DFB announced that it would take part in the official evening vigil in Hanau with its integration ambassador and former international Jimmy Hartwig. In addition, DFB general secretary Friedrich Curtius will be on site. The 65-year-old Hartwig, son of an American soldier and an Offenbacher, had previously been racially insulted, as he reported several times. He played in the Bundesliga for Hamburger SV, among others.
The victim should also be remembered before the Europa League games of Eintracht Frankfurt, Bayer Leverkusen and VfL Wolfsburg in the evening. This also happens “as a clear sign against all forms of racism and extremism,” said Eintracht before the game against RB Salzburg. Frankfurt / Main and Hanau are only 30 kilometers apart. The case caused “grief and horror in the entire federal territory and especially in the Rhine-Main region”, said the Bundesliga club.
Bayer Leverkusen’s sports director Rudi Völler, who was born in Hanau, took the news with “with horror and dismay”. “The consternation is great. My sympathy goes to the families and relatives of the victims,” said the 1990 World Champion. “Everything indicates that it was a racist act. In my opinion, it is always important to flag the issue show. Hate, violence and racism have no place in our midst. “
FC Bayern coach Hansi Flick commented on the day before the Munich home game against SC Paderborn. “Racism has no place in our society. We have to make sure that we all fight against it,” he said. Champions League participant RB Leipzig, who won the first knockout round at Tottenham Hotspur in London on Wednesday, stressed standing for “a cosmopolitan, tolerant and peaceful society”. “We continue to advocate this every day.”
Vice champion Borussia Dortmund also mourned the victims. “The actions in Halle and now in Hanau are terrible. German society must do everything possible to fight racism and anti-Semitism clearly. We will do our part,” said BVB managing director Hans-Joachim Watzke.