Donald Trump has Corona: US President and First Lady Melania infected

“We will start our quarantine and recovery immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER,” wrote Trump shortly after midnight on Friday (local time) on Twitter. Trump’s personal physician Sean Conley said Donald and Melania Trump are doing well. “Please rest assured that I expect the president will continue to perform his duties uninterruptedly throughout his recovery.”

US President Trump tested positive for Corona just a month before the US election

The US is on the home stretch for the November 3rd election, in which Trump is running for a second term. He competes against the Democrat Joe Biden. The corona pandemic, which is by no means under control in the USA, had turned the election campaign on its head anyway. In the coming days, the 74-year-old incumbent had planned numerous appearances, some of them large events. Despite the pandemic, thousands of followers had taken part in such events in recent weeks.

Surf tip: All news about the US election can be found in the news ticker from FOCUS Online

Trump adviser was also infected with Corona

On Thursday evening it was first announced that Trump’s close advisor Hope Hicks had tested positive for the virus. Trump himself confirmed the infection of his employee in an interview with Fox News and said that he and Melania had been tested. Hicks had traveled to the side of the president in the past few days: on Tuesday for the TV debate between Trump and Biden in Cleveland, on Wednesday for an election campaign appearance in the US state of Minnesota.

In photos from Wednesday, Hicks was seen at the Joint Base Andrews military airfield outside the presidential helicopter Marine One, in close proximity to Trump’s adviser and son-in-law Jared Kushner. Neither of them wore mouth and nose protection. She was also with other employees of the President. At first it was unclear whether other people around him had been infected.

First Lady Melania Trump appeals to US citizens

“Like far too many other Americans this year, the President of the United States and I are in quarantine at home after testing positive for Covid-19. We are fine and I have canceled all upcoming commitments,” wrote Melania Trump Friday morning on twitter. “Please take care and we will all get through this together.”

A White House spokesman, Judd Deere, said on request Thursday evening: “The President takes the health and safety of himself and everyone who works for him and the American people very seriously.” Both when traveling and in the White House, the CDC’s current guidelines and proven measures to reduce the risk of infection are followed, the statement said.

Surf tip: You can find all the news about the corona pandemic in the news ticker from FOCUS Online

Trump spokeswoman had described wearing masks as a “personal decision”

But in the corona pandemic, Trump is repeatedly accused of not taking the threat posed by the virus seriously. He usually does not wear a mask in public and has repeatedly made derogatory comments about wearing masks to his challenger Biden – most recently on Tuesday.

Trump and the White House always cited the reason that the President and his environment were regularly tested for the corona virus. Trump’s spokeswoman Kayleigh McEnany described wearing masks in June as a “personal decision” and pointed out that she would be tested regularly.

At the beginning of May it became known that the press secretary for US Vice President Mike Pence, Katie Miller, had become infected. In late July, White House National Security Advisor Robert O’Brien tested positive.

Trump reaps criticism from China after corona infection

Shortly after US President Donald Trump announced that he and his wife Melania were infected with the corona virus, Trump was already receiving criticism from China. The state-run Chinese newspaper “China Daily” describes Trump’s positive test as “another reminder that the coronavirus is spreading further, even if Trump has tried desperately to suggest that it is no longer a danger”. The report goes on to say, “Since it became known earlier this year, Trump, the White House and his campaign have downplayed the threat and refused to follow basic public health guidelines – including those issued by his own administration.”

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *