US policy in the news ticker: Donald Trump suffers from Corona: “Really concerned” – Chief of Staff reveals new details on “more severe” Corona course
Donald Trump went to the Walter Reed Military Hospital after his corona infection to receive treatment there. His personal doctor announced that the president was doing very well. In the meantime, it has become known that Trump’s infection was more severe than initially communicated. Everything important in the ticker of FOCUS Online.
- After his corona infection, US President Trump is at the Walter Reed Military Hospital to be treated there.
- His personal physician Conley is “cautiously optimistic”, Chief of Staff Meadows speaks of a more difficult course than initially assumed.
- Trump suffered from a fever and the oxygen saturation level in his blood was falling “rapidly”.
Trump team after corona illness of the president: “were really concerned”
Sunday, October 4th, 7:18 am: Donald Trump’s personal physician has not given the all-clear for the state of health of the US president despite “considerable” progress since the corona diagnosis. “While he’s not out of the woods yet, the team remains cautiously optimistic”Doctor Sean Conley explained in an update released on Sunday night. Trump is still fine he doesn’t have a fever and doesn’t need additional oxygen. He worked on Saturday and moved without difficulty in his quarters in the hospital.
Trump himself pointed out that the next few days would determine the course of the disease. “I’m starting to feel good again,” he said in a new video message from the hospital on Saturday. But one does not know how it will go in the coming days. Then comes “the real test” – “we’ll see what happens”. At the same time, the president was confident: “I think I’ll be back soon.”
Trump’s chief of staff, Mark Meadows, has meanwhile confirmed that the coronavirus infection is Trump took a more severe course had presented as initially. “Yesterday we were really worried”said Meadows on Saturday night on Fox News. “He had a fever and the oxygen saturation in his blood had fallen rapidly.”
US President suffers from Corona: Trump team contradicts personal physician
9.41 p.m .: How is Donald Trump? There are numerous rumors surrounding this question. Now there is a new twist, according to the news agency “Associated Press”: Of all things, Trump’s chief of staff Mark Meadows is said to have contradicted the optimistic statement by Trump’s personal doctor Sean Conly. It was apparently Meadows who told reporters that Trump was in a “very worrying” condition and that the next 48 hours would be crucial in his fight against the coronavirus. Conley had previously stated that Trump was “doing very well”.
I used the wrong expression: Personal doctor corrects test statement
9.30 p.m .: A few hours after Trump’s personal physician Sean Conley made a statement on the state of health of the US President, the White House issued a memo in which Conley corrected one of his statements. Conley had said that Trump’s positive corona test result was 72 hours ago. That would point to Wednesday. When asked by reporters when Trump had now tested positive, Conley said, “On Thursday afternoon, after a close contact and clinical evidence and a little more concern became known, we carried out a retest.” He did not provide any information about what the “clinical evidence” was.
In addition, another doctor said the president had received an antibody drug about 48 hours ago – that would mean Thursday noon, before the test the president spoke of. Trump himself announced his coronavirus test on Thursday evening (local time) and the positive result shortly before 1 a.m. on Friday night.
After the statements raised massive questions, the White House circulated a written statement from the personal physician, in which he made it clear that the times of 72 and 48 hours were incorrect and that they simply meant the third and second day. “The president was first diagnosed with Covid-19 on the evening of Thursday, October 1st, and received the first antibody cocktail from Regeneron on Friday, October 2nd,” it said.
On Wednesday, Trump attended a meeting with donors in Minnesota and made an election campaign appearance in front of several thousand supporters. On Thursday, he flew to New Jersey to meet with donors. If he has already done all of this with the knowledge of a positive test, that would be extremely irresponsible, because you have to assume that you are highly contagious in this phase.
New York Times report: President Trump suffered from shortness of breath and was given oxygen treatment
7:34 p.m .: According to the New York Times, citing two sources, President Trump was given oxygen on Friday. He had previously had difficulty breathing and his oxygen levels had fallen. That prompted the doctors to give him additional oxygen and move him to the Walter Reed Hospital. A reporter for the news channel “ABC” also reported that the president had received additional oxygen, thereby confirming the report of the “New York Times”.
Conley, Trump’s personal physician, previously avoided questions from journalists as to whether Trump had received oxygen treatment at any time. Finally, he said Trump was not treated with oxygen on Thursday, nor since he was admitted to the Walter Reed Military Hospital.
Trump himself reported from the hospital meanwhile and thanked the staff of the military hospital: The doctors and nurses are “all great”. Thanks to them, he feels good.
Surf tip: how is Trump really doing? After his personal doctor appeared, great doubts remained
Sick of Corona: Different information about Trump’s state of health after infection
6.43pm: After his first night in the Walter Reed military hospital because of a coronavirus infection, there are different information about the health of US President Donald Trump. Trump’s personal physician Sean Conley said on Saturday: “The president is doing very well this morning.” Reporters who normally accompany the president, however, quoted an informed source that the president’s readings over the past 24 hours had been “very worrying”. The next 48 hours are crucial. “We are still not on a clear path to a full recovery.”
Conley told journalists at the Bethesda Hospital, north of Washington, on Saturday that the medical team was “extremely pleased with the progress the president has made.” Trump had a fever on Thursday and Friday, but has now been free of fever for 24 hours. Trump suffered from a slight cough, nasal congestion and fatigue. However, these symptoms have now improved. Conley evaded the question of whether Trump had been given extra oxygen throughout the course of the infection. Trump is currently not receiving any additional oxygen, the doctor said. Conley did not want to give a date for Trump to be released from the hospital.
Trump (74) was flown to the hospital by helicopter on Friday evening (local time). The White House spoke of a precautionary measure on the recommendation of doctors.
Also read: Donald Trump’s condition “serious” according to CNN – more top Republicans infected
Personal doctor Conley does not want to comment on the US President’s corona tests
5:51 p.m .: There is no news about Trump’s wife, First Lady Melania Trump, she is still doing very well, said Trump’s personal doctor Sean Conley in front of the press at the Walter Reed Military Hospital.
5.48 p.m .: Regarding the US President’s risk factors, Conley said that other than being overweight, he had no particular risk factors. Of course, his age and gender also play a role.
5.46 p.m .: Conley emphasizes that one is aware of the Covid-specific risks. The drug Remdesivir is used because it fits well into treatment, Trump gets a whole range of drugs. He will not give a lecture on the President’s test history and thus will not reveal when the President was last tested negative.
5.45 p.m .: When Trump could be released from the hospital, Sean Conley could not say anything yet. It was initially decided to keep him for five days in the Walter Reed Military Hospital. Keep watching very closely how the US President is doing.
US President suffers from Corona: Trump is said to have been free of fever for 24 hours
5.44 p.m .: Conley explains that the president has been free of fever for 24 hours. So far, the therapy has worked well. His cough has also decreased. The development of the Covid disease indicates a mild course.
5.42 p.m .: Another doctor from US President Donald Trump’s team emphasizes that the President will not be supplied with oxygen after his infection. All functions are monitored and so far everything has been inconspicuous.
5.40 p.m .: Conley says it was a precaution to take him to the hospital. He says that you have to act in the first week with the Covid infection so that it does not get much worse in the second week. He adds that one is “happy with the progress the president is making.”
5:39 p.m.: The statement begins. Trump’s personal physician Sean Conley first thanks everyone who made wishes to US President Trump and his wife Melania and introduces the team of doctors around him.
5:31 p.m .: Conley is still a long time coming, the press representatives in front of the Walter Reed Military Hospital have been waiting for half an hour now and waiting for Conley’s statement about the state of health of the US President to begin.
5:05 p.m .: The statement by Donald Trump’s personal physician Sean Conley, originally announced for 5 p.m., about the state of health of the president has been delayed by a few minutes. This was said by a representative in front of the press people present, who had already prepared for the start of the press conference.
Trump gets remdesivir – now his personal doctor comments on his condition
Saturday, October 3rd, 4.30 p.m .: Donald Trump was flown to the Walter-Reed military hospital on Friday evening after his corona infection, which became known on Friday night. He should stay there for a few days, but be fit enough to go about his work, said his personal doctor Sean Conley on Saturday night. Trump is doing “very well”. The president is being treated with the drug remdesivir, among other things. He doesn’t need any oxygen supply. On Saturday afternoon (CEST), White House spokeswoman Kayleigh McEnany announced that Conley would speak from the hospital at 5:00 p.m. (CEST) on the president’s health.
US judge lifts Trump’s visa ban for skilled workers
Friday, October 2nd, 9:31 am: An instruction from President Donald Trump, according to which work visas should no longer be issued to foreigners with special professional qualifications, has been temporarily overridden by a court order. A US federal judge in San Francisco issued an injunction against the directive on Thursday. Trump has exceeded his powers, quoted the “Wall Street Journal” from the decision.
The instruction is from June and is valid until the end of the year. The White House justified it with the high unemployment in the USA as a result of the Corona crisis. The directive applies to different types of work visas, including the so-called H-1B visa, from which the high-tech sector in particular benefits.
The technology and internet companies in the Californian innovation mecca of Silicon Valley rely heavily on foreign workers. The H-1B visa is typically issued to around 85,000 people annually.
Four business associations, which mainly represent Silicon Valley, had therefore taken legal action against the instruction. They reacted with satisfaction to the current judge’s decision, which is only of a provisional nature. Any policies that prevent US companies from hindering highly skilled workers “only harm the economic recovery in these difficult times,” said TechNet chairwoman Linda Moore.
You can find all the news about the corona pandemic in the news ticker from FOCUS Online
For older US policy releases, see the next page.
Woman wants to pose with sharks in the water – and immediately regrets her decision
mja / dpa