COVID-19 claims its youngest victim in Quebec

More common for several weeks among those under 30, COVID-19 has just made its youngest victim in Quebec, a harsh reminder that this virus with many shadowy sides can strike at any age, experts say.

Don Béni Kabangu Nsapu, 19, passed away last Sunday in intensive care at Pierre-Le Gardeur hospital in Terrebonne, swept away by COVID-19. The young man of Congolese origin had no known health problems, according to his father Alain Nsapu Lukinda, who spoke to some media.

For its part, the Ministry of Health and Social Services (MSSS) confirms that a 19-year-old person died of complications related to the disease, but could not provide more details. “The law prohibits us from giving any information that could lead to the identification of a person or concerning a medical file,” said a spokesperson.

Don Béni Kabangu Nsapu is the first person under the age of 20 to succumb to the disease in Quebec. No deaths have been reported in children 10 years of age and under. Among the 20-29 year olds, three people have died from COVID-19. Of note: the young man’s death had yet to be tabulated in the government’s record on Friday.

A crowdfunding campaign was launched in memory of the disappeared three days ago, to pay the costs of the funeral which must take place this Saturday. As of this writing, over $ 11,000 had been raised.

The death of such a young adult is “very disturbing[e] “And” very disturbing[e] Prime Minister François Legault reacted during a press briefing in Bécancour. “Young people are not immune. Wearing the mask is serious. Of course, I offer my condolences to the young man’s family. “

Good physical condition does not provide guaranteed protection against COVID-19, notes Dre Caroline Quach-Thanh, pediatrician and microbiologist-infectious disease specialist at CHU Sainte-Justine. The many testimonies reported in the press attest to this. In the United States for example, a hardened 40-year-old marathoner Ahmad Ayyad recently found himself in a coma for 25 days. Intubated, he came close to death.

In data | Our interactive content on COVID-19

Elsewhere in the world, COVID-19 has caused its share of very young victims, continues the one who is also an epidemiologist. In March alone, this unpredictable virus had already claimed the lives of a 12-year-old in the United Kingdom and a 13-year-old girl in Belgium. The United States, the epicenter of the pandemic, has experienced the same phenomenon. “It highlights the fact that young people are not invincible,” she says, adding that the best way to guard against possible serious complications is to follow public health guidelines.

In Quebec, the proportion of cases of contamination among young people under 30 compared to all reported cases has increased sharply since the 1er may. It went from 13.6% to 22.9%, according to figures from the National Institute of Public Health (INSPQ).

In the context, the chances of death necessarily increase, summarizes Caroline Quach-Thanh. Then he added: “There is a risk of death in all age groups, although it is significantly lower in young people than in older people. No risk does not exist. “

” [Ce décès d’un garçon de 19 ans] can serve as an alarm for those who do not take this virus seriously, ”observes Tatiana Scorza, immunologist and professor at UQAM, referring in particular to the demonstrations against the wearing of compulsory masks.

Since the start of the pandemic, nearly 3,300 people between the ages of 10 and 19 have tested positive for COVID-19 across the province. Among them, 31 were hospitalized, and 6 ended up in intensive care, indicates the MSSS.

With The Canadian Press



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *